February 15, 2008
Owning a dog
We are getting a dog.
It has been interesting to see the effort my husband and I have put into this puppy.
Here are all the similarities of preparing for an actual baby and a DOG.-- the best part is, I have been married for 9 months.
Checklist: (which we did type out and bring to the store)
1) Safety clips on our poisonous cabinets.
2) Convertible crib that changes as he grows (Life stages crate with divider)
3) Toys- some for teething, some for snuggling, some with squeaky things inside.
4) Car seat- actually a crate that we are borrowing.
5) Soft bedding- that john and I have tested. Approved!
6) Health kit- with toothbrush and baby toothpaste (dog formula paste), nail clippers with styptic powder, cotton balls- to clean ears out, baby (puppy) shampoo, soft brush.
7) BABY GATE- an actual baby gate from Target.
8) Puppy sized eating bowls
9) Special PUPPY FOOD - we have decided to use kibble (don't even go there)
10) Bath mat- we don't want Diesel to slip now do we?
We have also interviewed Veterinarians and toured a clinic. We have read 3-4 books on Weimaraners and dog training.
Of course we do have a pooper scooper, a collar, a leash and newspaper on the floor. We also have a bell on the door so he can tell us when he needs to go outside.
I guess you could do these things with a real human but it might be looked upon as UN HUMAN. Maybe THIS is why we see people wearing dog collars as they get older?
We have not come to the point of dog clothing. We are not into clothes for fun........yet. I have looked at Booties for his feet to protect them on trail runs and stuff.